The Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc.—better known as PALCI—formed in 1996 as a grassroots federation of 35 academic libraries in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Today, the PALCI membership consists of 71 academic and research libraries, private and public, in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and West Virginia. Member institutions range from small liberal arts colleges to publicly funded universities to ARL institutions to the State Library of Pennsylvania. Libraries in PALCI have holdings in excess of 36 million volumes and a combined FTE of more than 500,000 students.
PALCI’s primary mission is to spur the development of library cooperation within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the neighboring region. To do so, PALCI
- Coordinates resource-sharing through services such as E-Z Borrow and Rapid ILL.
- Fosters a program of free reciprocal faculty borrowing privileges among select member libraries.
- Provides opportunities for cooperative purchasing of electronic resources from major vendors, such as Gale, ProQuest, Wiley, and many scholarly societies
- Collaborates on collection development and management initiatives, such as remote storage, a shared serials archive, digital collections, and disaster planning
- Offers a means to share with and learn from academic library colleagues throughout the region
Member libraries enjoy an active program of resource-sharing, cooperative purchasing, and collaborative collection development. If you’re an academic library located in the PALCI region, you can’t afford not to be a member! To find about more about the benefits of membership to you and your library, browse our website or please contact Cathy Wilt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.567.1755. Participate in the power of collaboration!